What is The Purpose of Religion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by slydessertfox, Feb 7, 2012.

1. 3man75 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    1. very true unitco YOU don't. evidence from the neanderthall {spelled it wrong} did.

2. This is not about cristians is it?

3. I did say it wasn't perfect. besides if the preist were actual good people they would try to break
    up all quarels with words.

4. just so you know i am cristian, when i was 7 a priest in kendal tried to rape me. i KNOW that not all
    of them are the real deal and some pretend just to get donations into their pocket.

5. Some priest and Imans worked together to calm people down during times of war in spain also. how do i know?
    cause priest and Iman's who were good humanitarians would not let books get in the way of easing pain. Make sense?

To what chealsea said: ya it always HAS and WILL but i beleive religion of various types helped us come together
    thats my general point anyone against it?
  2. ComradeLer Proud Anti-Patriot

Message Count:
    Even if religion was never founded, Humans would just find something else to fight with each other about, be it political ideology, racism, etc. Religion itself is not inherently bad, more so the people who take it too extreme, and the same could be said about any ideology/philosophy, including atheism. (EG - The atheists who believe in purging religious people/forcing them to give up their beliefs at gunpoint)

Uh..
    Chelsea366 likes this.
  3. 3man75 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I still think relgion played a role {big or small} in uniting society in some way.
  4. Chelsea366 Retired Moderator

Message Count:
    It both united and divided.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  5. 3man75 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Progress? later we made nationalities which also divided and united. well fox
    how do you like the answer? also chelsea i do know what i talk about i just word it wrong or
    someone twists my words.
  6. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    No, I don't have empirical evidence, but asking or even mentioning it in a religious debate makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Anyway, I find it very hard to believe that Neanderthal went "Well, seeing as when I die there's no higher power to judge me, might as well kill this random guy.". Of course, there are exceptions, but religion doesn't prevent those, which was the point given (if I understood it correctly).
    And exactly, insanity has always existed, religion or not. It doesn't cause it, nor prevent it (with exceptions of course, I've read multiple stories about people who murdered children because they apparently were devils or some bullshit).

A collection of bones generally says nothing about a motive. Yes, evidence of murder has been found in fossils, so there has been a conflict. What was the conflict about? You tell me. But of course, only if you were there.

I do have to admit I probably should've worded those first few sentences differently. Also, I should probably go to bed and get some sleep...

They were the first thing that popped into my mind, as they're not only the conflicts that stand out the most because I know more about Christianity than most other religions, but they're also some of the most well known religious conflicts.

That would be quite the unwise decision. A serious conflict isn't going to be resolved by a few priests shouting the Lord is going to be angry about it.

Which is why I'm glad the Church finally seems to start investigations into these matters, and I wish it nothing more than the best in resolving them.

Yes, some indeed are very good men, and others are busy stoning women to death for wearing a bikini, or are saying all homosexuals should be violently killed. In such a large system of belief, it's not strange to find a wide variety of people.

Religions both bond people and drive them into bloody conflict. It's a massive double-edged sword.

In some cases, I'd say this isn't the case. The Inquisition and religious human sacrifices were purely religious, and I doubt these people would've died that way if religion hadn't been around. Of course, that's nothing more than speculation.

I do agree with the point that extremism in all shapes and forms should be avoided, and even eliminated if possible.
  7. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    I need to get this off my chest because its been bothering me: Its Christians, not cristians. Carry on.
  8. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    In a cave,watching shadows (Plato reference)
    Ugg this reminds me that I have to do Lent soon.
  9. Ingvar Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Interesting fact about the thing that Pagan religion put honour above money while non-pagan said that if you pay certain amount of money your sins shall be forgiven. Im talking about medieval times,but same goes for some of modern churches.
  10. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    We abolished indulgence, which was direct buying for forgiveness. Donations are optional, but it becomes a duty to most church members to give something to the church for their service.
    Viking Socrates likes this.
  11. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Question? Should churches be taxed.
  12. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Well I'm going to say what my English teacher would say, it relates to Master-Slave relations.
  13. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    Rebel against the master.
  14. 0bserver92 Grand King of Moderation

Message Count:
    Well that or it all relates back to sex.
  15. Viking Socrates I am Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    sex most likely.
  16. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, Roman and Greek pagans did bring quite a few offerings to their temples, and I do think a lot of the priests back in the day were incredibly corrupt and deceiving.
  17. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Yes.
  18. SovietEmpireUSSR Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, nothing really. I think it's just something to keep people in check. Organized religion that is.
  19. CoExIsTeNcE LeonTrotsky in Disguse

Message Count:
    For what?
  20. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Think about the repurcussions that might have, especially with the religious identity that your nation so covets.