What is The Purpose of Religion

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by slydessertfox, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Skyicewolf City States Godmod Patrol

Message Count:
    Religion IS just a way for people to hide there fears of death, and to explain what they don't know. That's the entirety of it.
  2. Aleem Tariq Member

Message Count:
    Interesting enough, I'm too lazy to bring evidence to the table. Conclude it at that, but I understand you're point. I'm not religious at all and I'm probably just an agnostic. But, believe it or not my claims have a basis. If you just do some research you'd find viable evidence. Yes, I'm too lazy to bring it to the table, and yes I do look like an ass-hole because I'm not posting anything to substantiate my claims. If you want evidence, I'd have to go all religious and write out verses, but seriously I'm not trying to show off my beliefs, and that is why I am not going to write out verses. Honestly, all I'm trying to say here is that religion is not a waste, that is what I believe. If you don't share my opinions I honestly don't care.
  3. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    So, you're saying we all should believe you, yet you provide no evi-

Oh I see what you did there.
  4. Aleem Tariq Member

Message Count:
    You're a complete absent-minded retard who doesn't read the entire post.

"Honestly, all I'm trying to say here is that religion is not a waste, that is what I believe. If you don't share my opinions I honestly don't care."
  5. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I agree, I misworded it. Might have something to do with me being quite sleepy, who knows. Or it might be because I'm not taking you seriously whatsoever. Really? "I have proof, and very good proof, but I'm not showing it because I'm lazy, even though you people asked for it. Also, I'm not showing off, yet I keep stating I have proof, which, as I said before, is very good proof. Not showing it though, I'm lazy.". The insult really doesn't help your case in the slightest bit.
  6. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You obviously care enough to write up that nonsense LMAO
  7. Diego Wilson New Member

Message Count:
    Religion was made by the priests back then so they could be worshiped by the people. Look at the pope. People think he speaks to god, and he is the leader of Catholics everywhere. And to be able to tell people what they can or can't do. Don't be gay or god will hate you, don't kill or god will hate you. A way to control people.
  8. Aleem Tariq Member

Message Count:
    Correct.
  9. Aleem Tariq Member

Message Count:

Listen, I'm not providing evidence because it is against my way of life "religion" to boast. I know how retarded that sounds but honestly, it was a mistake to talk about religion and I regret doing so. Please, I hope we can stop arguing and understand eachother's views. I totally understand your view of "religion" and I agree. But, I don't care for religion, I'm into philosophy, or ways to live your life, eg. Confucianism, Taoism etc.

And, I agree, it doesn't help my case. But I want to close this case because I don't like talking about religion, and it was a mistake to do such a thing. Again, I hope we can reach an understanding.
  10. Aleem Tariq Member

Message Count:
    Listen, I'm not providing evidence because it is against my way of life "religion" to boast. I know how retarded that sounds but honestly, it was a mistake to talk about religion and I regret doing so. Please, I hope we can stop arguing and understand eachother's views. I totally understand your view of "religion" and I agree. But, I don't care for religion, I'm into philosophy, or ways to live your life, eg. Confucianism, Taoism etc.

And, I agree, it doesn't help my case. But I want to close this case because I don't like talking about religion, and it was a mistake to do such a thing. Again, I hope we can reach an understanding.
  11. UnitRico Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I can live with that. Still, if you don't want to talk about religion, or say it is against your sense of it to boast about it, coming here, saying you have evidence and you're right without providing it isn't the best idea, but you already said that yourself.

Also, there's a rule against double posting. When posting, hitting "reply" again will make the quote appear underneath the text you already typed out. Otherwise, you can still edit posts.
  12. GiggleBlizzard Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Except there is alot that isn't explained in religions and that the religions themselves generally accept that we will never know.
  13. Vulcan200x Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  14. JosipBrozTito Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    In Abrahamic religions that problem is usually solved by ''god did it''.
  15. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hope.
    Palbanese likes this.
  16. Palbanese Member

Message Count:
    it is to explain what we can't explain
  17. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    Yup.
  18. Lighthouse Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well I do not think say 10,000 years ago when religon started the made it just to control people but people just started asking why are we here and they found what they thought was a god and thought " oh that must have created us " but later like in the middle ages it was used to control people which was alot worse than it is now. The only way i see it is those jahova witnesses and some muslims.
    slydessertfox likes this.
  19. Vulcan200x Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Yup
  20. Palbanese Member

Message Count:
    all forms of religion are completely byust no matter how much you debate about it.

Atheism Rules