Your sense of nationlism?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Vulcan200x, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Leutenant_Germany Active Member

Message Count:
    as said before, In Germany we dont have nationalism. its like being proud of your gender, its pointless because you really cant choose. plus that mindset is drilled into our heads in German education. also we are constantly reminded of our ancestors nationalism and the devastation it caused.
  2. Onyxja Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Nationalism is good if you want a strong country, war and devastation.
    Nationalism is bad if you want peace and unity between humans.

I feel that thinking that your country is better than others, is like saying that one beer is better than all others because you like it more.
    bender and TheKoreanPoet like this.
  3. TheKoreanPoet Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Man of the Year.
  4. Sisyphus New Member

Message Count:
    I sometimes wish I was stateless, that is how strong my nationalism is... Or I guess the word isn't fits better.
  5. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    Well to me there is good nationalism and bad nationalism. The bad is if you feel your people is superior to others. That you were born better than them. Then the good is simply feeling a deep sense of pride in your country. Just feeling a great love for it. The good is better labeled Patriotism. I personally practice it a lot. I am a huge Patriot, but just because I love my nation more than others doesn't mean I feel superior to other nations.
  6. GeorgykZhukov Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Oddly enough, i experience very little American Nationalism, but much Michiganian Nationalism, i.e. i have a large Michigan flag pinned up in my room, but i have a tiny little US flag. *shrugs* i guess i just like my state more than my country.
  7. Vassilli1942 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That sounds familiar to me, I just can't put my finger on it. *US Civil War* No but really that means your sectionalists.
  8. GeorgykZhukov Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'm not a man of the "States' rights!" persuasion. I'll have to look into sectionalism, as i do not know what it is, but from the name, i can get a basic idea of what it is.
  9. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's a laugh. The fact that you even accept that your country should exist is too much nationalism. It's a fucking plot of land you happened to be born on . It's like being proud of your skin colour it's absolutely nothing to be proud of.

I'd also like to point out that the spelling in this thread and particularly in the title is embarrassing. I'd rather we not look like a forum full of retards.
  10. slydessertfox Total War Branch Head

Message Count:
    [IMG]
  11. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    That's pretty opinionated. I respectfully disagree. I retain that my country means a lot to me. You cannot dictate that. I feel a great sense of pride and love for my country.
  12. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I never said that your country didn't mean a lot to you, I said that it is really stupid and ignorant that it does.
  13. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    How is it stupid and ignorant? Its not like I feel superior to anyone.
  14. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    By putting pride in something that you are part of by TOTAL coincidence and had no major part in forming or creating you are implying strongly that there is reason to be proud compared to other nations, even though those other nations are made up of very human people just like you . You'll notice that a tract of land has little relevance and that the people on it make up what matters in a 'nation'. So unless of course your a racist slimeball there's really no reason to be proud of fuck all. We are all humans in situations across the planet and our lives are totally determined by the situations we're born into, your pride is worthless , ignorant, and only serves to justify violence and oppression world wide.
  15. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    No I am not implying that. I love my nation simply because there are reasons to love it. If I lived in a country like Iran I obviously would not love my country. America stands for freedom, for liberty. Time and time again it has done so much good. That is why I love my nation. It doesn't promote violence at all. That is like saying "I love my child more than yours" promotes violence. That doesn't mean I hate or dislike your child in any way, I just love mine more. If your not a stupid ignorant person you'll respect that certain factors and events make me love my country more and walk away instead of starting the violence.
  16. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    .... Do you even hear yourself? Actively separating human beings into groups promotes fucking violence! LMAO setting up arbitrary borders and labeling different humans arbitrary names so that people might gain more power by manipulating them promotes violence! The children bullshit is dumb you don't know everyone in your country and the only god damn reason you empathize with them is because you all have the same label . WE ARE ALL HUMAN, AND BEING AMERICAN WON'T CHANGE FUCK ALL ABOUT WHAT THAT PERSON IS. Maybe if you have a strong imagination the loudness of that caps lock will wake you the fuck up. Time and time again America has invaded foreign nations and bombed literally millions now to their deaths. It's a organization not some sort of magical force for justice it has interests like anything else and it really doesn't care what other organizations interests are.

It's funny you think that if you were a resident of another nation you'd love it too. It proves MY point not yours. You are born to a geographical location, and thus are proud of the organization that currently owns it's advertised traits and the system it exists in which promotes international segregation and violence.

Pathetic.
  17. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    Well thanks for being civil and all. Like I said my decision stands so there is no point in arguing. Can't be just agree to disagree. I mean I disagree with you, but that doesn't make you pathetic. Its kind of odd that you are arguing I am promoting violence yet you are promoting violence instead of being civil.

I am only not addressing the issue at hand, because you insist on not being civil. Its not like I am going to change your mind and therefor the argument serves no purpose without some common manners.
  18. LampRevolt Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I made a point, you can't deny it, so you fall back on how I hurt your feelings in doing so. No back bone these days.

Also I never promoted violence, unless of course you think that nasty words give premise for violence in which case your a barbarian.
  19. RickPerryLover strawberries oh sweet Jesus strawberries

Message Count:
    I made my argument. I have stated my I have Patriotism, why I love and feel a sense of pride in my country.

I respect you disagree, so let's agree to disagree.
  20. C_G Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I don't get why people are patriotic or nationalistic. I mean, what has your country ever done for you that has caused you to love it so?